Apr 20, 2015

Ten MORE Books to Read

I've done this list before, but I went back and looked it over and realized that I had more to share. So, for those interested, here's some new books I'd recommend.


1. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - Critics say she is "up and coming," but Rainbow's here, y'all. And I highly recommend anything by her. Seriously. She's clever, interesting, and the plots! Brilliant.

2. Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell - Literariness is only fun when you get fantastical elements. This collection of short stories is magnificent. I highly recommend reading the title piece, as well as "Reeling for the Empire" and "The Graveless Doll of Eric Mutis."

3. You Have To Laugh by Mairead Byrne - This is more so for the poetry lover. I am not, in fact, a poetry expert, but Mairead is pretty hilarious. Plus they were short and sweet poems that make you think.

4. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - With the release of the new film, it's high time people check out the original origin of the Jurassic family. This book is heavy on the sci-fi, BUT it is beautifully crafted and extends upon what you may already know about the amazing world that is artificial dinosaurs.

5. Hater by David Moody - Fans of horror will enjoy this brilliant piece. Though the subsequent two books in the series do not reach up to Hater's standards, I still think it's a read worth taking.

6. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs - This is the second book in the (what readers have been told) trilogy of the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Dear Jesus, read this series. It's young adult fiction, but it's so enthralling that no one will care if you are 40+ reading a book "meant" for teenagers. Trust me; reading is for everyone.

7. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education And Was Shot By The Taliban by Malala Yousafzai - I mean, come on, people. Go educate yourself, and change your own life. (Personal note. I had the AMAZING opportunity to watch Malala receive an award when she was in Philadelphia. She is an amazing young woman. More people need to hear her goals for the world.)

8. Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes: A No-Bullshit Guide to World Mythology by Cory O'Brien - More to come about this book. I've a whole in-depth analysis that I will be sharing. It's a hoot, by the way. And great for people who like humor with their myths.

9. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - I tried really hard not to put the same author twice on this list, but I can't help it. It's too darn good to not say something. Rainbow is probably my favorite author at this moment. I intend to get and read Landline next. (I'll let you know what I think.) Eleanor and Park is raw human emotion scripted on the page. Read it. I'm so grateful my friend Maria handed this book to me.

10. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - Anyone who knows me knows that Virginia is not my favorite author. But this book has haunted me for over two years; it is that compelling. It's a little tough to read at first if you aren't used to the modernist era. Just keep reading though; it becomes clearer by the end.

BONUS: 11. Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee - It hasn't been published yet, BUT I AM SO EXCITED. Which means, it WILL be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment